Regulation Summaries


1836 Migratory Bird Hunting 2015


1837 & 1842 Migratory Bird Hunting 2015


Swan Hunting 2015


Hunting Regulation Summary 1837 and 1842 Ceded Territories of Michigan, Wisconsin & Minnesota


Regulatory Summary—Tribal Night Hunting in Wisconsin Ceded Territory

     • Blank Shooting Plan

     • Hunter Step-by-Step Guide


WI Fall Turkey 2015

MN Fall Turkey 2015

WI Spring Turkey Youth Hunt Season


Trapping Regulation Summary 1837 and 1842 Ceded Territories of Minnesota and Wisconsin


MN Open-water Spearing & Netting

MN Open-water Hook & Line Fishing

    • MN Aquatic Invasive Species Regulations

MN Winter Spearing & Fishing

WI Open-water Spearing

WI Open-water Hook & Line Fishing

WI Winter Spearing & Fishing


What you should know before camping


Gathering & Wild Rice Harvest Regulation Summary 1837 & 1842 Ceded Territories of MI, WI & MN


National Forest MOU

   Campground list


MN, WI, & MI - Ricing Regulations, Opening Dates, Surveys, & Aerial Photos


Gathering & Wild Rice Harvest Regulation Summary

1837 and 1842 Ceded Territories of MI, WI & MN

Apostle Islands 2009-2010

Treaty Hunting, Trapping & Gathering


Model Codes

Voigt Model Code

Mille Lacs 1837 Model Code

MI 1842 Model Code


Commission Orders effecting changes in some Wisconsin treaty harvest regulations.
Commission Orders, effective as of November 16, 2011, made changes to regulations for several treaty seasons (see below). These changes are effective but have not yet been incorporated into the Model Code that defines treaty harvest regulations in Wisconsin.

Deer Regulation changes

Bear Regulation changes

Wild Turkey Hunting Regulation changes

Trapping Regulation changes

Uncased Firearms changes

Uncased Firearms Questions & Answers

Exercising Your Treaty Rights


Permits and tags for off-reservation treaty hunting, trapping and gathering.
       A tribal picture ID from one of GLIFWC’s member tribes is required to be issued a permit and/or tag for any off-reservation treaty hunting, trapping or gathering (including wild rice) in Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota.


Where to get permits
      Permits and tags for off-reservation hunting, trapping or gathering can be obtained at your tribal registration station or the tribal conservation office, depending on the tribe.

Off-reservation treaty harvest permits and tags
      Off-reservation Treaty Harvest Permits are required for hunting, trapping and gathering activities in the ceded territories; however, some tribes use a picture ID instead of the standard harvest permit. Also, Keweenaw Bay issues its own permit to Keweenaw Bay tribal members. The standard Off-reservation Treaty Harvest Permits all expire on July 31 each year.
      See the specific off-reservation harvest regulations for each season in the appropriate regulation book.


Deer, bear, fisher, otter and bobcat tags
      Carcass tags are required in order to hunt deer, bears, or bobcats and to trap fishers and otters. You may obtain your carcass tags from the same place you obtain your Off-reservation Treaty Harvest Permit. The number of tags you may obtain vary depending on the species and your tribe’s rules. Generally up to four deer tags are available, one bear tag and up to five tags total for fishers, otters and bobcats.


Marten tags in Minnesota and Michigan
      Martens are a legal harvest in both Minnesota and Michigan. Separate tags are required for these species in those two states.


Turkey tags in Minnesota and Michigan
      Turkey carcass tags are required to hunt turkeys in Minnesota and Michigan, but not in Wisconsin.


Registration tags
      Deer, bears, fishers, otters, bobcats, turkeys, and martens (only in MN and MI) must be registered by presenting the carcass to the registration official. Carcass tags must be attached when registering. Registration tags will be affixed to the pelt when registered. Please note, turkeys do not require carcass tags if harvested in WI.


CITES tags
     CITES tags are required for otters and bobcats. Although technically an export tag, the CITES tag will function as a registration tag for these two species.


Gathering permits
      In order to gather non-timber forest products from the National Forests a gathering permit is required. For most gathering the Off-Reservation Treaty Harvest Permit, validated for National Forest Gathering, is all that is required.  However, if you wish to gather balsam boughs, ginseng or club moss (eg ‘greens’), a commercial gathering permit is required. These may be obtained at the tribal registration station.


National Forest camping permits
      Separate permits are required for camping in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest in Wisconsin and the Ottawa, Hiawatha and Huron-Manistee National Forest in Michigan. Generally these permits are available at tribal registration stations. They are valid for up to 2 weeks at a time and must be surrendered at the campground. See the National Forest gathering and camping regulations. Camping permits are NOT available for state parks or state forest campgrounds.

     Your tribe must be signatory to the National Forest Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in order to obtain gathering or camping permits. Signatory tribes are: Bad River, Lac du Flambeau, Lac Courte Oreilles, Red Cliff, St. Croix, Sokaogon/Mole Lake in Wisconsin; Keweenaw Bay, Lac Vieux Desert, Bay Mills in Michigan, and Mille Lacs in Minnesota.


Apostle Islands National Lakeshore (APIS) hunting, trapping, gathering, and camping permits
      Hunting, gathering and trapping in the APIS requires an Off-reservation Treaty Harvesting permit, the same permit as for other hunting and trapping in the ceded territories.
      These permits can be obtained at tribal registration stations.
      In order to camp on the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore you must first obtain a APIS camping permit from your tribal registration station. Then you must bring that permit to the APIS Headquarters in Bayfield to make a reservation. There should be no charge either for the camping permit or for the registration.

     You must be a member of a tribe that approved the agreement between the tribes and the APIS. These tribes are: Bad Bad River, Lac du Flambeau, Lac Courte Oreilles, Red Cliff, St. Croix, Sokaogon/Mole Lake in Wisconsin; Keweenaw Bay and Lac Vieux Desert in Michigan; and Mille Lacs in Minnesota.